Saturday, December 8, 2012

Slowest Week of My Mission


This is where Stacia is currently living.
Okay, so Christmas time in Ecuador...  It does not feeling like Christmas, but all the houses are decked out inside with splashes of decorations.  They are really proud of their decorating skills here.  You know, after seeing the Christmas Devotional and the lights of Temple Square, I kind of got a little homesick....  And this week has been really rough because of all the sick missionaries that Hna Morris has needed to take care of, but we are working though it!!  I am trying to be positive.

So, back to Christmas, a lot of the people we meet here are either Catholics, Evangelicals, or Jehovah´s Witnesses.  It is interesting to see how people from each religion act alike.  You can pretty much tell which religion everyone is just by talking to them a little.  Luckily, everyone is super nice to us... We think it is because we are white... Who knows? So, aside from the J.W.s, a lot of people celebrate Christmas here.  It is nice, but it just is not Christmas to me... Which is probably for the best.  The President and his wife are putting on Christmas dinners for all the missionaries at their house, so that will be fun.

We have a new senior sister, Hna Platts who works in the mission offices with Hna Thomas now.  She is so great!  She reminds me of Char from my old job.  We get along really well and I am so thankful for her!!  Since Hna Morris and I have been spending a lot of time at the mission offices lately, I have talked a lot to Hna Platts and she is just an amazing lady.
This is my new scarf - I love it.  It has pockets for your hands.  Genius.

Let´s see.... I just have some little stories for you...

One night, we were at a recent convert´s house, Raul.  We had asked him to say the closing prayer, and so he started saying/mumbling it when his huge horse-like dog came in and started bothering him, so Raul, being this older man started fighting with his dog and stopped praying.  Hna Morris and I had no idea what to do, so Hna Morris whispered to me, "On the count of three say amen... one... two... three...."  We then told Raul that we could see he was busy and excused ourselves.  It was weird.


Secondly, we were at the hospital, just getting out of a medical appointment, and there were two nuns sitting in the front office area.  When they saw us, they started mumbling stuff and using their prayer beads.  I had no idea what they were doing, but an elder told me that they were praying for our "lost souls."  I guess it is better than trying to curse us, right?

Oh, and finally, I have a parasite!  It is miserable!!  One elder who had this parasite what in the hospital for a week because of it.  We just decided that it is because elders are weak.  But, seriously, this parasite messes with your stomach, you have painful body aches, crazy dreams, and headaches, just to name a few things.  And the horrible thing is that we cannot take any medicine for it for three more days because we all have to get rid of it together or we could get each other sick again, and we have to wait until Hna Morris is done taking an antibiotic.  So, with this and the fact that we haven´t been able to teach a lot, it has been a little rough.


Last night, we came home and were getting ready for bed when we heard this loud BOOM and then the lights went out.  Apparently, some fuse from a huge electric wire in front of our apartment complex blew which caused our power outage (for the second time this month).  But it is okay, we took scary shadow pictures (like the one attached) and scared our Latina companions.  It was a good night.  And we just saw them working on the electric line, so we should be up and running soon.


This past week, I did got out on splits with Hna Tellez.  She is so fun.  It was a great day.  She likes to teach lessons, and I like to contact, so we just had the best time doing both - missionary life is good when you are actually doing missionary stuff.  I am so thankful for Hna Tellez, she was one of my companions in Atacames as well, and she is the best missionary I have ever seen (besides Elder Russ who was a missionary in Salt Lake when I was like 7 or 8 - he was cool.  Do you remember him?)  I have learned so much from her.

So, transfers are coming up on the 17th, and we all think I will get transferred.   
Oh, Christmas, I will probably call sometime between 2:00 - 4:00 my time, so like noon - 2:00 your time on Christmas, but I am not sure yet, I will not know until December 17th.



One day, in the hospital, while one elder had an appointment, his companion was drawing Hna Morris and I while we were not looking.  When we found out what he was doing, we asked to see the drawings, and the pictures attached are what we look like to this young man.  Haha... I hope he is wrong....
Have a great week!!!

¡Les amo mucho!

Hermana Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment