Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Time in Ecuador


Dear Family,

It was so good to hear from you about what is up in Utah and Grenada!!!!!  I love the family pictures of CeCe, Isaac and the boys - they look so good.  And Cheyenne is thinking about going on a mission?  Let me just say that it is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life (and I thought I had done hard things), but it has been the best experience ever.  Remember last week how I was saying that we didn't have a whole lot going on except some sick missionaries?  I was hoping and praying things would get more interesting in the way of missionary work, and that landed me a little babysitting job.  Some sisters are here in Quito for various reasons, and Hna Morris and I get to babysit them.  What joy.  It has been really hard, but I am confident that one day I will be a better mother because of this.


We have been caroling a lot lately and sharing messages of Christmas, and it is the best!!!  This is my favorite part of my mission so far - talking about Christ in a time where everyone listens and has a soft heart.  We went around singing as a zone, and while singing to some investigators, a lady who lived a few doors down came over and asked if we could come sing to her and her family. It has been great here in Ecuador during this time.

A few days ago, we were eating with one of our favorite families, and when she brought us out the food (here in Ecuador they prepared the plates for you, unlike at home where we pick what goes on our plate and how much we want) and she had prepared us four types of meat with a huge pile of french fries, salad and broccoli.  How horrible.  It was a piece of chicken, a chuck of beef, a hog dog, and a huge sausage.  I am getting really good at controlling my gag reflex.  Although, the grossest thing I have to eat in my mission is canned tuna fish.  I would eat octopus/squid any day over that. (did you put that video on my blog?)

The President has been having different zones over to his house for Christmas dinners, and last night, while Hna Morris was at the hospital with one of the sisters that is staying with us (she has fever) I when with the other sister to help with the Christmas dinner (my zone´s Christmas dinner is next week).  It was a lot of fun.  I saw Hna Umphenour and she is doing great!  After one elder said something to me, I replied by throwing my hands in the air really dramatically and saying something back to him, and Hna. Umphenour said, "Hermana Ellis.... You still talk with your hands." Hna Umphenour is super observant and always pointed out weird stuff that people do.  I don´t even notice that I talk with my hands.

Changes are coming up Monday.  Man, time is just flying by.  I don´t want to change, but I think that I probably will since I have been here for three changes with a brief two week assignment on the coast.  But I think I am okay with changing...  We´ll see how this goes.

I am just really thankful to be here, meeting new people, learning more about the gospel of Jesus Christ.  If I didn't know the Church was true, I could not do this - it is hard!!  But I have been so blessed and I am thankful that I get to be out here bringing the message of the gospel to the people here in Ecuador.  I am thankful for our Savior - this time of year puts things in perspective.  And I am thankful for all of you and your support!!  I love getting emails, letters and packages.  You all are the best!

Okay, that is all for this week.
I hope you are all enjoying the snow back home!  I am thankful to be spending a year without it.

I love you all!!

Hermana Ellis


PS
That picture of me in my running shoes with the skirt was what I wanted to wear out one p day.  Two of the four sisters in my house said it looked fine, and the other two said I was committing a huge fashion mistake.  I changed...  to a pair of Toms.  Don´t worry, Mom, I am still classy.

Oh, p.s., Brother Bott sent me an email, and I am going to write him a letter, but please, just tell him that while he may of received a hair cut, that is it not short enough, and to stop correcting my bad grammar.  Thank you.






No comments:

Post a Comment