Wednesday, May 16, 2012

First Email from Provo MTC

So it is finally my Prep Day, and I get to use my email!!

Guess what!!  I got my TRAVEL ITINERARY!!  So I am leaving the Provo MTC May 22, 2012 and saying hello to Peru.  I am really excited about that.  I love it here, but I just will be happy to get out. My companions are on a different flight than I am to Atlanta, so I get to travel with two awesome elders in my district, Elder Clinger and Elder Pierce, and then meet back up with them for our flight to Peru.
I have two companions, Sister Giles and Sister Norton. They are both amazing, and I love them a lot. Sister Norton and I can tell what the other is thinking just by looking at each other, it seems like we have been friends for a long time - she is so hilarious! And Sister Giles (the one from my single's stake) is really sweet - she laughs more than anyone I have ever met in my life!!

So, you may have gathered from my letter home that I was having a little bit of trouble loving others, because, let's face it, I am kind of a jerk.  Well, just so you know, I am working on it.  I have had a really good talk with one of my companions that made me realize why she is the way she is.  And I realized I just need to be more compassionate.

The elders in my district and zone are the best!!  So funny.  Last night, my companions and I just sat around in a computer lab with some elders from our zone laughing about all the Spanish mistakes we have made here at the MTC.  Last week, I was "teaching" an elder to pray in Spanish, I tried telling him he had to "bow his head and close his eyes", but instead of saying EYES, I said the Spanish word for EGGS which, apparently, is slang for something else... It was so awkward.  He just busted up laughing, and I pretty sure I just turned bright red and gave up on Spanish for the day.

Oh, and I think you might have misunderstood my letter. I taught a lesson, or rather TRIED to teach a lesson in Spanish my first Friday in the MTC. So, about two days into it, they were expecting us to speak full sentences. And that was pretty depressing. After my second lesson on Saturday, I just burst into tears. I was so discouraged and frustrated. And I just wanted to go somewhere English speaking. But, since then, my Spanish has not gotten any better, but I decided that I will just keep practicing.

So, good news - a young man named Scott in my single's ward sent me a box of doughnuts.  It was completely unexpected, but my district, roommates, and were happy about it, we ate them before and after Fast Sunday.   Scott joined the church when he was 22, and pretty much told the best jokes in my Sunday School class.  I was walking up the stairs with my companions right after the doughnuts were deliver, and Erik had written me a letter on the same day, so in the echoing stairwell, my companion, Sister Norton, yelled, "HERMANA ELLIS HAS FIVE BOYFRIENDS WRITING HER!!!"  Usually I would have been kind of embarrassed, but then I realized that I don't even know these people, and I'll probably never see them again.  Whenever I get a letter from you, mom, I tell them it is another random boy.  They have stopped believing me.

P.S. I leave the MTC at 6:00 a.m. on May 22 and my flights are as follows:
Delta Airlines 1500 - Leaving SLC @ 9:40 a.m. arriving in Atlanta, GA @ 3:30 p.m.
Delta Airlines 151 - Leaving Atlanta, GA at 5:20 p.m. arriving in Lima, Peru @ 11:05 p.m.

I have a lot that I want to send home, so if you send the stuff I mentioned in the letter in a good sized, medium box, I would be thankful!!  Mostly just the sweats, toms, and blue scriptures.  And maybe even some small treats for the trip to Peru.  And the lindt chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment